Wednesday, April 30, 2008

The Trinity Doctrine (Found in the Old Testament)

The Trinity Doctrine

In my book “The Last Trumpet…” (2002), I tried to explain the trinity, in the form of who each person was, but never did I try to connect it to the Old Testament, and especially Genesis. During my graduate studies in the 1980s, in Old Testament Studies, I became interest in this area; perhaps it helped me with my Christianity, in that everything has to be proven to me, I’m a Doubting Thomas. So I shall with you at this juncture of my life share a few things I think I learned on the subject—you may or may not already know.
I studied theology; it was my major—in terms of total biblical theology, and other religions, and I looked deep into the canons of and for interpretation.
Also I looked at it carefully to compare lexicography, etymology, usage of words, form and syntax.
I have set my mind to the fact there is a divine origin of the Old and New Testaments, a common authorship and design. In essence, if you look in the New, you can find the roots in the Old Testament.
So my belief is that the Godhead is not simply found in the New Testament, but in the Old as well. So for those who do not know what I am leading up to let me say it plain: I will show you the eternal existence of God in the person of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, in the Old Testament.
Most Christians will agree, Jesus claimed deity, the Jews and Islam will not of course agree with this. And this claim is supported by the apostles. The Holy Spirit, is more than a Spirit from God, it is God himself: thus forming a tri-unity of God. But remember what I said, the roots of this claim are found in the Old Testament. I am not claiming people of the Old Testament knew this, or understood this, but those that looked for it; it would be improbable they would not acknowledge it. On the other hand, an example might be: you may not understand there is an apple tree simply because you found an apple. In the New Testament, you discover more clearly, that the Apple is part of the Apple Tree if that makes any sense. What is clear now is the full revelation of God that is the bonus of the New Testament, a kind of progressive development.
(Genesis I) Elohim “God” this plurality is used describing the deity of God, referring to the God of Israel. Elohim is equal, plural of majesty, this is the God of the Old Testament. Some folks have said this was used in the time Israel may have used multiple deities, and the religion through evolution, became a one God Religion—and retained the polytheism usage of the word for God. Thus, Elohim would be a carry-over from such primitive times. We are getting quite grammatical here, but it is as it is.
In poetry, or in any such discipline as this, one must look at it from a context in which this plural form is used, when referring to God as a single being. If we look in Genesis 1, verse 26, we see “Let us make man in our image, in our likeness.” The subject is clear it is God talking, who for the Jews is normally perceived to be singular, but we got another plural.
I can get farther into this, but my point is made, God was not talking to his angels, he was talking to whom you think he was talking to, which was Jesus and the Holy Spirit, plain and simple. Yet, people will not make it simple, as I have, perhaps over simplification, but for me that works.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Adam Pastor said...

Greetings Dennis

Without a doubt, the so-called doctrine of the trinity is not found in the Old Testament at all (much less in the rest of the Bible!)

Here are some articles to affirm this.

Please read Is the Trinity in the Old Testament? which shows scholarly confirmation that this doctrine does not exist at all in the OT.

Concerning the word elohim, I recommend the article:
Elohim and Echad

And in general please view the video at:
The Human Jesus

Take a couple of hours to watch it; and prayerfully it will aid you to reconsider "The Trinity"

Yours In Messiah
Adam Pastor

5:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home